Last week, for the 4th of July, my family ran a 10k. I did a terrible job pacing myself, but I ended up finishing in 47 minutes. Next time I’ll run better. There was a guy there who ran the entire race barefoot. Anyhow, the 10k replaced my Saturday hike, so instead, I’ll dig back into my archives and review a past hike of mine.
Big Springs is a beautiful hike. It starts at Big Springs Park, takes you up to Shingles Mill Peak, and then on down to Rock Canyon. There are a lot of beautiful aspens, meadows pines, and all sorts of vegetation. The first part of the hike follows a little stream.
- Variety of vegetation
- Mild steepness grade
- There’s a rest area with picnic tables
- This is a very long hike if you take it all the way to Rock Canyon
- Go up Provo Canyon.
- Turn right at Vivian Park, and head up the pursuing canyon (South Fork Canyon).
- Towards the end of the canyon turn right at Big Springs Park.
- At the end of the park there is a parking lot and the start of the Big Springs Trail.